Its crowning element, based on a sketch by Klimt, was inscribed with the slogan: 'The time our art, the art our freedom.' Planned as a covered courtyard structure, the building provided for gallery space on all sides of a large top-lit rectangular exhibition hall in the centre.
The general form of the crowning element sketched by Klimt included, in a vague outline, both the battered pylons and the gilded laurel motif with its dedication to Apollo. This last was rendered by Olbrich as a perforated metal dome, suspended between four pylons and set above profiled planar masses.
K.Frampton, Y.Futagawa: Modern Architecture 1851-1945, Rizzoli, New York 1983, p.100