The Glaspaleis is one of the 13 most important architectural monuments in the Netherlands. The building opened its doors in 1935 as ‘Modehuis Schunck’ (shopping-mall). The Heerlen architect, Frits P.J. Peutz (1896-1974), proved himself as a true innovator: he ‘packed’ his ‘stacked market’ in glass, with a large transparent glass-coated façade in fine metal profiles. The construction, visible from the outside, consists of beamless floors resting on white mushroom columns. The open and transparent Glaspaleis became the architectural eye-catcher of Heerlen. Since 2003, following impressive renovations under the management of architects Jo Coenen and Wiel Arets, it has gained new purpose: cultural institutions (cinema, music school, public library and town gallery) and Vitruvianum (centre for architecture in the Euregion Maas-Rhine), provide a varied programme full of music, film, dance, literature, expressive art and architecture.